Sunday 11 August 2013

Starting Blogging - My Bright Idea

Hi there, my name is Julie and I am a Portage Home Visitor I work in Hampshire and deeply love what I do.
Recently I had an idea. I have been working in the field of learning disabilities for 17 years now and over that time I have collected a lot of resources and acquired a lot of random songs and games which have all worked really well. This blog aims to share them with you. Being a Portage home visitor, families are at the heart of everything I do, sharing these resources with families in this format feels the right thing to do.

During my time working within early years services, I have drawn, made and created lots of things for individual children and families. I had a light bulb moment during a visit to a local pre-school recently where I noticed they had a picture of mine up on their visual timetable. I had never visited this pre-school and the picture in question was from a social story I had written for a little boy over 12 years previously for a different setting. I was so chuffed that a picture I had drawn to help one little boy over a decade before was still useful and being used for children now. I have often thought about blogging, but have never really thought I have much to say, until now. I have years of songs games and resources stuck in my head that I can share, and the joy of a blog is that people can dip in and out and choose what is useful for them.
My grand plan will be to share social stories, play scripts, songs and games with you all. Hopefully if my technological brain will allow I will upload videos and audio files to share these ideas more productively, but be patient with me!

For starters I'll leave you with a link to Carol Gray's website about social stories, they are such a powerful tool when working with children on the Autistic Spectrum and children with social communication difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment